Monday, January 13, 2020

Assignment 1: Objectified Response - Armchair




Throughout my viewing session of Objectified by Gary Hustwit, many quotes challenged me and re contextualized truths I thought I already knew. The one that stood above the rest for me, though, was David Kelley describing one of the hallmarks of great design as "designs that get better with use." This greatly intrigued me, as using physical objects frequently is usually associated with degradation, but in this context, imperfections that accumulate overtime can heighten our fondness for these things by reminding us of the experiences we've had with them. Personal value is more important than tangible value, and good designs speak to people in a way that highlight their personality, and therefore make them want to use it more. With this idea in mind, I wanted to redesign something everyone has plenty of experience with: a simple armchair.



 I did my best to make my object feel personal and inviting by utilizing smooth, natural and "human-like" forms, similar to Karim Rashid. Some shapes have the power to unknowingly instill a feeling in people, and I wanted the comfort of this chair to be obvious. Another statement Rashid made really resonated with me; the challenge of putting your fingerprint on existing archetypes and trying to differentiate yourself as a designer. To set my chair apart, I combined aspects of more practical office chairs, like the detachable headrest and built-in cup holders, with the round, bulky shape language associated with casual personal chairs.



 I thought my chair should be versatile and aim to stand the test of time, so I wanted it to be able to accommodate numerous lifestyles, settings and postures. The gentle curves and tight nature towards the back are meant to feel tight but still comfortable, whereas the armrests taper outwards so users can comfortably spread their legs and slouch down. I also envisioned the bottom cushion being composed of memory foam, which would add to both the comfort and the "better-with-use" mentality.


2 comments:

  1. Your bed with the saw is really interesting. I for sure wouldn't want to sleep on that, but the concept is really neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah you would not have sweet dreams in that thing haha

      Delete