Monday, January 20, 2020

Assignment 2: Mesh Mashup

Remix Culture has always intrigued me as a concept, but I was intimidated by the concept of creating my own remixes that seemed creative while borrowing so heavily from the works and objects of others. Throughout this exercise, however, I opened my mind a bit, dropped my biases and fully embraced recycling assets. Nothing is truly original, so using existing templates to express your own style won't come across as "stealing". Enjoy my quirky creations lol


Mashup 1: Gunship

The original idea for this one merely came from the similar shape of a plane body and a gun, but I also considered the portrayal of some peoples' innate fear of plane travel. I also thought a bright happy background would create an interesting disconnect in tone.

Gun
Plane


 Mashup 2: Crane Crane

Okay, let's get this one out of the way: I used my one "creature" submission to make a lame pun. Sorry not sorry.

In actuality though, I was surprised by how good of a fit the crane was in place of a birds' neck and head. I also wanted to explore the contrast of natural and man-made objects.

Crane (bird)
Crane





Mashup 3: Banana Boom Boom

This one mainly spawned out of the interest of a peel concealing something unexpected. I like the idea of opening one up only to discover a missile.

Banana
Missile


 Mashup 4: Bed Buzzsaw

Combining something intended to be comfortable with something so dangerous seemed obvious to me; I wanted to exaggerate the idea of a really uncomfortable sleep.

Buzzsaw
Bed


 Mashup 5: Grenade Gardens

This one appeared to me mostly as I was coming up with parallels that every person makes, in this case "peace and war". I was kind of going for a 60's aesthetic with the idea and the colours.

Grenade
Flower


 Mashup 6: Digital Dinner

The increasing overlap between real life and online life fascinates me, so I wanted to capture that connection in a way that would be very impractical in the real world.

Computer Mouse
Fork + Knife
Laptop
Steak



 Mashup 7: Gamer Goggles

Honestly I just like the expression "gamer goggles" referring to thick nerd glasses, and wanted to portray that in a more literal and comedic sense.

Glasses
Minecraft sword



Mashup 8: Hockey Hammer

I knew for one of my submissions I had to combine two tools with handles and merge them to create something totally superfluous and useless. This is that thing.

Hockey Stick
Hammer

 Mashup 9: Timber-land

As the title suggests, this was mainly inspired by the boot brand Timberland and their logo of a leafless tree. I added the apples for a little pop of colour.

Boot
Tree
Apple

Mashup 10: Vacation Vibes

For this last submission, I was trying to capture a feeling of soaking in a tropical landscape with some good tunes. I was also inspired by the vaporwave aesthetic, which is commonly associated with palm trees and wacky colour schemes like this one.

Radio
Palm Tree

No comments:

Post a Comment