Saturday, March 21, 2020

Milestone Project 2: Hat Papercraft Process

Welp, there goes the rest of the semester. Although it's no one's fault and no one could have foreseen these circumstances, I truly will miss this class and the projects we were headed towards. With this unexpected closure in mind, I was not able to fully complete the papercraft assignment, but here's what I do have:



I retooled the shape of my hat to reflect a ore whimsical vibe, with different proportions and an asymmetrical slant. While I was unfolding and preparing the model to be cut, I originally wanted to go with the flower method, but I soon realized that this would limit the size of the individual strips and make glueing tabs challenging, as most of the glueable area would be enclosed inside the hat. With that in mind, I opted to have most of the edges scored with tabs going down, so that I could construct the hat from top to bottom. After printing, however, I learned the hard way that the slight loss of surface area that comes with scoring made the angles of the original model impossible. If we had more time on this project, I would attach the top ring layer of the hat to the very top, and then have the rest formed using the flower method.

No comments:

Post a Comment